The Chinese nation was facing a serious crisis after the outbreak of the Chinese People's War of Resistance Against Japanese Aggression. Formulating a series of relevant policies, the Communist Party of China (CPC) called on women at all levels to participate in the war, which not only promotes the emancipation of women, but also makes important contributions to the victory of fighting the invading Japanese army.
I. Characteristics of women's movements under the leadership of the CPC in the period of the Chinese People's War of Resistance Against Japanese Aggression
- Mobilizing women to participate in the war of resistance against Japanese aggression and realizing women's emancipation in the national liberation.
- Women's work had been carried out smoothly within the united front.
- Paying full attention to the establishment and improvement of women's organizations and the development of women's work.
- Safeguarding women's rights and interests based on their realities and needs.
- Attaching importance to investigation and research, and adjusting relevant policies on the basis of actual conditions.
II. Contributions of women's movements under the leadership of the CPC in the period of the Chinese People's War of Resistance Against Japanese Aggression
- Making important contributions to the victory of the War of Resistance Against Japanese Aggression.
- Promoting the emancipation of women and the advancement of their status.
- Consolidating counter-Japanese united front and influencing women's movements in the KMT-controlled areas.
- Laying an important mass foundation for national victories.
- Planning a new direction and having a profound influence on the development of Chinese women's movements.
The author is Zhou Lei, research assistant of the Women's Studies Institute of China (WSIC), affiliated to the All-China Women's Federation (ACWF).
(Source: Women's Studies Institute of China / Translated and edited by Gender Study Network)