Posts and Professional Affiliations
Associate Professor, Department of Sociology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Director, Gender Research Centre, Hong Kong Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies
Pearl River Delta Social Research Centre, Department of Sociology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Associate Director, Centre for Chinese Family Studies, Hong Kong Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies
3. Sociology of Health
4. Migration & ethnicity
5. Transitional justice
• Forthcoming Not Just Mum and Dad: The Role of Children in Exacerbating Gender Inequalities in Childcare. Journal of Family Issues. (Co-authored with LuiChing Wu)
• Forthcoming Technologies of Power and Resistance: Mobile Phone Use Among Factory Migrant Workers in South China. The China Quarterly. (co-authored with PengYinni)
• 2012 Women and Girls in Hong Kong: Current Situations and Future Challenges. Hong Kong: Hong Kong Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies (Co-edited with Fanny M.C. Cheung).
• 2012 "Lustraton Systems and Trust: Evidence from Survey Experiments in the Czech Republic, Hungary, and Poland." American Journal of Sociology, Vol. 117 No. 4 pp. 1172-101 (co-authored with Roman David)
• 2012 Social Isolation and Spoual Violence: Comparing Marriage Migrants with Local Women. Journal of Marriage and Family. 74:444-461. (co-authored with YuetWah Cheung and Adam K.L. Cheung)
• 2011 "State control, female prostitution and HIV prevention in China. " The China Quarterly, 205:96-114.
• 2010 "Heterogeneous and Vulnerable: The Health Risks Facing Transnational Female Sex Workers." Sociology of Health and Illness, 33:1-17.
• 2009 "Getting Even or Getting Equal? Retributive Desires and Transitional Justice". Political Psychology. vol. 30 no.2, pp.161-192. International Society of Political Psychology. (co-authored with Roman David)
• 2009 A Gender Perspective on Families in Hong Kong. In Fanny M Cheung & Eleanor Holroyd (edited) Mainstreaming Gender in Hong Kong Society. Hong Kong: The Chinese University Press. Pp. 159-180. (co-authored with K. F. Ting)
• 2008 Wife Abuse in South Africa: An imbalance theory of family resources and power. Journal of Interpersonal Violence. 23:834-852. (co-authored with K. F. Ting)
• 2008 Obstacles to Colon Cancer Screening in Chinese: A Study Based on Health Belief Model. American Journal of Gastroenterology, 103:974-981. (co-authored with Sung, J.J.Y., Chan, F.K.L., Ching, J.Y.L., Lau, J.T.F., & Griffiths, S.)
• 2008 Client perpetuated violence and condom failure among female sex workers in south western China. Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 35(2):141-146. (The official Journal of the American Sexually Transmitted Diseases Association) (co-authored with Chen, K.L. & Jiang, Z.Q.)
• 2007 The influence of power, poverty and agency in the negotiation of condom use for female sex workers in Mainland China. Culture, Health & Sexuality, 9(5):489-503. (co-authored with Holroyd, Eleanor.)
• 2007 Law Enforcement, Public Health, and HIV/AIDS in China. In Paul G. Harris & Patricia D. Siplon (eds.) The global politics of AIDS. Lynne Rienner. Pp. 137-154. (co-authored with David, R.)
• 2007 Ethnicity and risk factors in needle sharing among intravenous drug users in Sichuan Province, China. AIDS Care, 19(1):1-8. (co-authored with Y. W Cheung & Jiang, Z.Q.)
• 2006 Forgiveness and Transitional Justice in the Czech Republic. Journal of Conflict Resolution, 50(3), 339-367. (co-authored with Roman David)
• 2006 "Gender and HIV Risk Behaviour Among Intravenous Drug Users in Sichuan Province, China." Social Science & Medicine. 62: 1672-1684. (co-authored with Y.W. Cheung and K.L. Chen)
• 2006 "Association United, Association Divided." in Voluntary Associations in the Chinese Diaspora, edited by KhunEngKuah& Evelyn-Hu-Dehart. University of Hong Kong Press.
• 2005 Getting Ahead in the Capitalist Paradise: Migration from China and Socio-economic Attainment in Colonial Hong Kong'. International Migration Review, 39(1): 203-227. (co-authored with Stephen W.K. Chiu and K.F. Ting)
• 2005 Victims on Transitional Justice: Lessons from the reparation of human rights abuses in the Czech Republic'. Human Rights Quarterly 27(1): 392-435. (co-authored with Roman David)
• 2003 "Mechanisms of Racial Inequalities in Diarrhoea Prevalence in South Africa." Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition, 21(2): 264-272.